This project provides a C++ ATL template based mini framework that can be used to create Windows Shell (explorer) extensions.
Supported Shell Extensions
- Info Tip (IPersistFile, IQueryInfo)
- Shell PropertySheet Extension (IShellExtInitImpl, IShellPropSheetExt)
- Context Menu Extension (IContextMenu, IContextMenu2, IContextMenu3)
- Copy Hook Extension (ICopyHook)
- Extract Image Extension (IExtractImage, IExtractImage2)
- Custom Shell Folder (IShellView, IShellFolder)
Legacy Shell Extensions
The list below are shell extension types not used anymore in Windows.
- Column Provider (IColumnProvider). Not used anymore by Windows Vista or newer.
A couple of articles discussing how to create shell extensions are available on codeproject.http://www.codeproject.com/shell/msf.asphttp://www.codeproject.com/shell/msf2.asphttp://www.codeproject.com/shell/msf3.asp
Operating Systems and Compilers
Below the overview of the supported operating systems and compilers, the on-demand options and the legacy options. On-demand means that I consider the compiler or the OS non-modern and have stop testing these configurations but not removed support for it. Legacy means that this OS was supported in the past but support has been removed from the current revisions. If people need support for on-demand compiler/OS they can open an item in the issue tracker. This split is required to reduce the effort to maintain this project.
Supported Operating Systems
On-demand Operating Systems
Legacy Operating Systems
- Windows XP
- Windows 2000
- Windows ME
- Windows 98
- Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 (ATL 11.0)
- Visual Studio 2010 SP1 (ATL 10.0)
- Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (ATL 9.0)
- Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (ATL 8.0)
- Visual Studio .NET 2003 (ATL 7.1)
- Visual Studio .NET 2002 (ATL 7.0), needs latest Windows SDK
Note: Source Code snapshots are only validated with Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 and tested on Windows 8 x64.